Tuesday, March 5, 2024

First parsnips of the year

The way I’ve always grown parsnips, is the way my parents have always grown parsnips, which is the way my grandparents have always grown parsnips.  We plant them in the spring, let them grow, then leave them in the ground over winter.  The next spring, once they start to regrow, we dig them up.  I think the cold, and then the process of regrowing breaks up the starches and makes them sweeter, but don’t quote me on that.  I think I looked up the reason one time, but since it’s not something I thinking about all that often, I don’t really remember.

Anyway, a couple of weeks ago it was warm and I checked our parsnips but they hadn’t started regrowing.  It then got cold for a couple of weeks, but the last few days have been warm.  Today, my mom said, “Why don’t you pull a few parsnips and we’ll have them for dinner.” So I went and dug a few parsnips which were starting to regrow.



Here is them after the dirt was washed off of them.  I’m not sure what happened to that one in the middle.


I got busy doing other things, and my mom peeled and … rectangled them?  They’re not cubed.  Right now, they’re floating in some water waiting for dinner time.  Maybe I should have waited on this blog to add a picture of them fried up in some butter.  I guess I’ll save that for if I ever doing a cooking post.

No comments:

Post a Comment