Thursday, February 29, 2024

Garden roundup for February

During the month of February, our chickens laid 75 eggs, which – even with two fewer days – is more than the 67 laid in January.  Unfortunately, 17 of these eggs were damaged.  At first, I thought it was just that a few hens weren’t eating their oyster shells, and while that might have started the problem, I think at least one hen is eating eggs.  I don’t know if, with the cold and snow, there aren’t any bugs or worms for them and their feed isn’t protein enough.  It did seem that when it was really cold every day there was one or even two eggs ate, but it has been somewhat warm this last week or so, and some eggs have been eaten but not as many.  We’ll have to see if warmer weather will break them of this habit.

The only other garden thing was I potted a few more onions that had started to sprout.  Last year was a pretty good year for onions, and I had two dozen or so nice big ones.  I hung them up to dry, and I thought they had dried enough, but earlier this month I went to grab one to use and most of them were starting to rot.  The smaller onions – that I figured I’d plant this year – are holding up pretty good and getting used.  I guess I’ll just have to be extra certain to dry any big onions I get in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment