Thursday, September 14, 2023

Garden Roundup for August 2023

I wanted to get this out either on the last day of August, or the first few days of September.  But one thing after another kept coming up, and I kept putting it aside.  There were a couple of things I wanted to talk about, but I’ll save them for another post.  This will just be a super quick rundown of what we harvested in August.

For starters, we got – if my count is correct – 68 eggs.  Stuff harvested from our garden included: lettuce, just about all of our onions, 14 zucchini, a few peas (most of the plants are dead but a few are still kicking), a couple dozen tomatoes, some broccoli, some green beans, some shell beans, a bucket or so of potatoes, some cucumbers, a couple heads of cabbage, a couple dozen ears of corn, all the beets, and some green peppers.  I’ve also picked a few red raspberries and blackberries.  I also cut off the one sunflower head.  The deer ate most of the ones I planted, and I only got one good sized head.  I leave them to dry, and then sometime in winter I’ll hang them out for the birds.  The last item to mention are the apples, a few yellow transparent and a couple buckets of MacIntosh. 

If I can get around to it, hopefully soon I’ll have a post on why I think it was a good year for onions and beets.

No comments:

Post a Comment