Thursday, August 3, 2023

Garden Roundup for July 2023

This roundup is late, and will be brief, because I was sick for a good chunk of July.  A stomach bug tripped me, and then like four or five other things dogpiled on.  I’m fine, the only issues I have left are a cough, and I tire easily, but I don’t know if part of that is from the heat, or just that I haven’t done anything for three weeks. 

Anyway, in July we got about 87 eggs.  I say about, because for a week or so I didn’t collect the eggs and didn’t care to ask how many we got, so that’s a rough estimate. 

The first patch of lettuce started to go to seed, but the second patch is up and I’ve started picking from it.  Our peas produced pretty well this year, and while some of the plants are dying, others still have blossoms, so I don’t know how much longer we’ll get peas.  I’ve also picked some red raspberries, and some black raspberries. 

We got swamped in blueberries.  Even with pies, and putting them in cakes and cereal, and letting neighbors pick as many as they want, I think my mom said we have 25 quart bags in the freezer.  And one of my sisters has 17.  And there are still some blueberries left to pick. 

New things we’ve picked in July: blackberries, tomatoes, several nice heads of broccoli, and zucchini.  We got 19 zucchinis, most of which were smaller sized, but three we missed and will be ground up for zucchini bread. 

Also, I had put a couple of potatoes in containers, just to see how they did.  They were starting to die, so I pulled them and got some pretty nice potatoes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment